For kids (of all ages!), we offer a presentation that is both entertaining and informative. A participatory experience, children are provided the incredibly unique opportunity to interact with the performers and are encouraged to JAM with the band! We also conduct such island-themed games as the LIMBO and CONGA LINE.
Audience members will learn about the historical development of the steel drum, or steelpan as it is better know in the Caribbean, and about the musical culture of Trinidad & Tobago, the island nation that gave birth to this brilliant, vibrant art form and to Calypso music. Talking points may include the following:
• Turns out: it’s not a drum at all. (Surprise!) “Steel drum” is a misnomer; its creators gave it the name “steelpan,” and this is not a matter of semantics–we’ll discuss why it’s an important distinction.
• The early steelpan’s emergence from the 19th century British occupation of Trinidad and the abolition of the African hand drumming tradition–and its humble roots as children banging on found objects in the streets.
• The pan’s evolution to its modern form and the explosion of steelband music as a result of the Yankee Navy’s stationing in Port-of-Spain during WWII.
• How an instrument capable of such a beautiful and complex tone is astonishingly molded from a 55-gallon oil barrel with little more than hammer and fire (and *impeccable* craftsmanship).
• The Panorama steelband competition held at carnival time in Trinidad each year that pits 120-person steel orchestras at war against one another.
• The steelpan, an art form very much still in its infancy, is the only “SATB” (Soprano-Alto-Tenor-Bass) family of instruments developed in the 20th century to have achieved proliferation worldwide.
Another fun idea for children’s parties is the “Little Mermaid” thematic, where we perform such popular tunes as Under the Sea, Kiss the Girl, and Jump in the Line and even invite young listeners to DANCE and SING ALONG! Says one satisfied client:
“We loved having Island Boogie at our daughter’s birthday party! It added a truly special element to the ‘Mermaid Swim Party’ theme. I am certain we will use them again and am already cooking up an excuse for another party. Thanks for a great event!” – Stacie W. (Dallas, TX)